I’ve been impressed with my re-introduction to educational reform in Washington through my Superintendent Leadership Seminar (first in a year long series). The concept here is personalizing student learning and this is far beyond earlier concepts of differentiation or individualization. Personalizing has more to do with the involvement of the student in understanding the process of their learning through learning targets and meaningful, relevant learning episodes.
In this professional development series, there are 6 elements of positive impact on student learning:
- Student learning is structured for understanding
- Student learning experiences are designed to engage and support all students in learning
- Student assessment is used to direct learning
- Students participate in maintaining effective environments for learning
- Students prepare to live and work in a multi-cultural world
- Teachers develop the art and science of a professional educator and are active in the profession to positively impact student learning.
No rocket science here. Just foundational look at the continued development of best practice.